Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Employment


I was laid off at the beginning of the summer. I've been working continuously since I was sixteen years old, and during one summer, I worked two jobs. I've always been a hard worker, and I'm one who takes pride in my work, whether it's vacuuming or compounding prescriptions.

When the layoff came, I had a very hard time. Not simply because I was without a job, but because I was so afraid that others would think it was a reflection on me and my quality of work. Ever since I had been with that company, I gave everything I had. In the beginning, there wasn't much work for me in my downtime, so I made up projects for myself so I wouldn't feel guilty for being paid to do nothing. These projects would be useful to me because they furthered my knowledge and skill within the company. By the time I left, I was concerned those attributes didn't matter. I saw it as a personal affront, rather than what it was, which was a financial decision.

Two an a half weeks ago, though, I started another job. A job at a fantastic company that will use several of my skill sets, and it's in a very positive environment. I came across it at just the right time in my life, and I think that's a great sign. I'm excited to work in an office environment as I previously telecommuted. That might sound silly to some, but I am new to the area, and this is a way for me to meet other people, where if I had continued to work from home, I wouldn't have had that opportunity. I know I'd not have gone out of my way to meet people for no reason.

Tomorrow marks the halfway point in my training. I'm really excited to start my real shift at the regular time I'm supposed to work so I can get into a routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment